In 2011, we purchased The Lighthouse to use as a meeting place for children and youth that have been impacted by crime. The house was in very rough condition when we bought it. The roof and floors were falling apart, and every surface needed deep cleaning and painting. In the months after we bought the house, we ripped up walls and floors and slowly put the house back together again. The teenage boys especially loved helping with the ripping things up part (see picture above)!
Since 2011, we’ve been meeting with youth at The Lighthouse multiple days every week. It’s been such a gift to have a place that the kids and teens can call their own.
In a very real way, this house has become a lighthouse, a safe place in the midst of the storm.
In an effort to maximize use of The Lighthouse, there are a few remaining renovations we’d love to be able to complete. Here are the details of the remaining projects:
- Install new cabinets in the kitchen. We painted the old cabinets after purchasing the house to make them look presentable, but in their current state, they are fairly unusable. With new cabinets, we hope to spend more time cooking with the kids.
- Put in a more durable and permanent floor in the main room. The flooring we originally installed has worked well, but was a short-term solution and is beginning to show a lot of wear.
- Make needed fixes in the bathroom, including repairing the ceiling and door.
- Add doors to the main room to create the option for room separation, allowing for small group discussions.
- Add a dishwasher. The possibility of this excites our staff a lot!
- Improve insulation in the basement, so small groups can meet there year-round.
The total cost of the renovations is estimated at $14,000.00, and The Rochester Area Foundation has generously agreed to match up to $6,000.00 to make these renovations possible!
If you are interested in giving towards The Lighthouse renovation, checks can be sent to Next Chapter Ministries, PO Box 9321, Rochester, MN 55903, or donations can be made under the tab below.
Please write “Lighthouse Renovation” on the memo line.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact (507) 529-5799
Thank you for partnering with us in the Gospel!